"While I take inspiration from the past, like most Americans, I live for the future." -Ronald Reagan

Favorite 4th Quarter Post!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Under the Red Dress

When I was scrolling down my Facebook newsfeed today, I saw that several of my friends had liked a page called, "Under the Red Dress". I clicked on the page, and was shocked to find one of the most interesting, beautiful and in my opinion most effective breast cancer campaigns that I have ever seen. Beth Waanga, who is an Australian mother, nurse and breast cancer survivor recently created this extremely bold campaign that vividly displays the normally unseen effects of breast cancer on a woman's body. First we see a beautiful, normal picture of Beth in a red dress, where she looks completely healthy and unharmed. As you scroll further, Beth shares nude photographs of herself after her battle with breast cancer, revealing the total bilateral mastectomy, navel reconstruction, hysterectomy scar and stretch marks from rapid weight loss to the world. I don't even know what half of those fancy medical words mean, but as they say, a picture says a thousand words. (to view the more graphic images on her page, click here)
Although some view these photos as inappropriate, too graphic or even sexual, I think of them as art and as an amazing way for Beth to tell her story. It is amazing that a woman would make herself completely vulnerable to the world, simply exposing herself in every way possible, in order to educate women about the dangers of this terrible disease. So brave. So selfless. So smart. Obviously Beth knew that the only possible way to inform people of the battle scars and the aftermath of having cancer was to show this body, this uniquely beautiful body, to everyone. Whether they were ready to see it or not. Although things often appear "normal" or "untouched" on the outside, but by taking a peek on the inside we can often uncover a different story. The biggest problems and challenges in life are often ones that we don't see coming or are temporarily invisible, and Beth is making a statement in that everyone should be proactive about breast cancer and take it seriously.

What are your thoughts on Beth's photo shoot? Do you think that she takes it too far? Do you think that this will be an effective way of conveying breast cancer to the world?



2 comments:

Josh S. said...

Nice post! I agree with you, Madeleine. I think that "Under the Red Dress" is a brilliant way to show the hidden affects of breast cancer. I'm sure many people will be prompted by Beth's courage to take a stand and try to raise breast cancer awareness and funds for research. What a great project.

Jayce T said...

I love hearing stories about brave people who are trying to break out of norms and raise awareness for something important to them! I think that the way Mrs. Waanga is presenting herself, as a strong, capable woman, is the right way to present her campaign. She doesn't try to over-sex herself or emphasize the fact that she is still beautiful, which is very humble, yet speaks measures to how down to earth she is.